[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Art & Life

Today at the pump

The Sole Prop's Sister?


Under here.

April 16, 2010

Odd. Cough.
Friday. A bright sun early morning Friday, breakfast at the usual place arriving in plenty of time to read the papers and note the price of gas had fallen four cents (take a picture when leaving), home now at eight thinking I should get that x-ray out of the way and get the car gassed and washed over at the place I like to use in Berkeley. But I'm a little tired and a nap is calling to me from the bedroom. Get the x-ray later. Find the paperwork later and do it, when? Before or after noon? You've heard this argument before? So have I, so have I. It's not even depressing, it's just, I don't know, part of the background noise, neither more or less important than any of its companions.

Your arguments have companions?

They have companions, fathers, mothers, aunts, uncles, mistresses and girlfriends, not to mention a couple of shadowy figures you see now and again spread across the front pages of the morning papers. Background noise, if only because there's so many.

Later. It's three in the afternoon after a morning and early afternoon of naps. Naps, naps. And coughing. The lungs get better as the morning progresses but I realize, from watching it today, not that much better. Yes, I did get the x-ray in the early afternoon, no way around it finally. It took forty minutes for the entire trip including the driving. All that procrastination. March 1st was the date on the orders. Maybe I have been apprehensive. Interesting lab, though, brand new, all the latest whiz bang equipment. None of this x-ray plates in developer stuff. Just like my dentist. You want to see teeth? Just press the button.

So we stumble along. I did notice the large number of signs in the hospital lobby advising us to cover our coughs, stop N1H1 in its tracks, wash your hands, brush your teeth, eat a healthy breakfast. The imaging center receptionist had a cough every bit as bad as mine. Young lady. Had to scoot off to a restroom to honk it out. Felt at home. Maybe I'm not alone in this stuff.

For some reason, leaving the hospital, I dog legged it across the street and bought a Snickers ice cream bar and a small package of M & M's, ate them on the way home and then, after I'd arrived, ate the rest of the cheese with crackers and bean dip that I'd binged on last night. It all tasted like cardboard, but cardboard that went down easily enough. I think I've done enough of this. I'm not gaining weight, that pretty much stays the same (less a few ounces), but if it's all going to taste like cardboard it might as well be actual food. The large bag of sea salt potato chips I'd also picked up yesterday went into the trash, again not to be P.C., once you have your hands on these things they tend to find a way down your gullet, but for what overnight became their icky taste. Odd. Cough.

The photograph was taken on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley with a Nikon D3s mounted with an 85mm f 1.4 Nikkor D AF lens at f 5.6 at 1/125th second, ISO 200.