[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


November 1, 2018


Thursday. Lights out early. I think. I'm pretty sure. Awake at a quarter to six to half listen groggily to the radio until it was six-fifteen and then lights on and up to get ready to head out walking to breakfast, the sky overcast, but not nearly as cold as it was yesterday morning. The restaurant was open as I arrived just before seven.

Close to a pound under the target of one-fifty on the scale and so ordered the corned beef hash, scrambled eggs, country potatoes, toast, fruit cup and coffee for breakfast. Caution to the wind for an old fart. Read the papers with interest, the election coming up now in another five days, no one really sure how it's going to go or what's going to happen. Still read stories about the people I voted for, but so far none of this after the fact information has made me regret any of my choices. Maybe for one.

Finished up just before nine and set out for home, the overcast starting to clear. The usual pictures, of course, but that's to be expected, finding it easier to just slide along taking the same snapshots. When younger, one shoots for more than just snapshots. Still, the same sidewalk documented with many, many, um, selected snapshots may have a certain interest when displayed in a group.

Nothing on the schedule for the day, although the sun is now out and they're saying it will be well up in the seventies later today. Maybe stick my nose out the door, if only to check on the construction site just up the street, the usual statement to end this first section.

Later. A walk the short distance up the way to take a picture at the construction site and then compared it with earlier pictures taken in October to discover they were indeed making visible progress in new framing at the top of the structure, something I hadn't noticed after taking the earlier photos. So good. I guess.

For some reason I checked the shipment status of a refurbished Nikon 1 V3 camera I'd ordered on the web, due next week, and found it was out for delivery and indeed it arrived this mid-afternoon. I'd been thinking, since I'm not liable to change packing the small V 1 in the mornings, I might as well get the latest one they made before canceling the line.

It's more than a little different. Ordered a memory card, discovered it doesn't use the same card as the V 1, the card due next week, and read what I could of the manual. We'll see. I put off ordering the thing for a long time, it may turn out I should have held out ordering for much longer. As in forever.

Evening. Nothing on television and so I've been watching the 49'ers Raiders game. I haven't been following either of the teams recent history, didn't know each of them had won only one game so far in their seasons, didn't know this was the first game for the 49'ers quarterback Mullens. Seems he's doing quite well for backup to a backup.

Returning to the apartment after breakfast this morning taken with a Nikon 1 V1 mounted with a 30-110mm f 3.8 -16 Nikkor 1 lens.