[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


January 10, 2019


Thursday. A bad decision on the lights out time last night as it took too long to get to sleep and so ended up awakening at six-thirty, running fifteen minutes late. A dermatologist's appointment for an annual checkup at eleven and so drove to breakfast to make up for the lost time, arriving a couple of minutes after seven. No big deal in the actual doing of any of this, but some upset at the thought of making it all fit together in order to not arrive late at that eleven o'clock appointment, something I'm sure I wouldn't have fussed about when I was young(er).

OK, the plain waffle with sliced bananas and strawberries, fruit cup and coffee for breakfast, just because I was tired of everything else on the menu, finishing up with the papers by eight forty-five and drove home with plenty of time to spare to post yesterday's entry and start this before catching a bus. I'd drive, but finding a parking spot is problematic in the area and the sky was pretty much clear for any rain, at least it was before the dense fog I'm now seeing rolled in.

Later. A bus to Broadway and then a walk to the dermatologist's office located in the same building where I go to get blood drawn, arriving early and so having a yogurt cup at the building's café before checking in. Checked in and sat down to wait my time when suddenly the building's fire alarms started screeching. Loudly. What?

Turns out it was a false alarm rather than a scheduled test, but everyone in the entire building filed out into the alley descending the stairs as the elevators were turned off for the alarm. This took all of thirty minutes before returning by climbing six flights of stairs and finally getting in for the exam now half an hour late. They said they get two or three false alarms in any given year. One's too many for me.

Exam done and so out the door with two medications in hand, one a cream for a small area of the hand that's turned flaky where two fingers join at the palm and another small bottle for use in the hair on the area above the ears that's been itching on and off now for a while. Otherwise all is well and made an appointment to return in another year.

Took more pictures of the construction site across from the doctor's building walking back to the bus stop on Grand, more of the usual pictures going by the construction sites on Webster and Valdez and then hurrying to make the light crossing Grand, seeing the bus in the distance and so ran to catch it with all of two seconds to spare, in luck and out of breath.

Home to lie down for twenty minutes before looking over the pictures. It had been cold and foggy setting out, cold and foggy walking, the sun holding off its arrival until I got home. A longer and even more complicated day, this day, than I'd been expecting.

Evening. Curled up with the tablet early, nothing I wanted to watch on television, keeping an eye on the clock, not wanting to repeat yesterday's lights out well after ten mistake. Turned the tablet to give the eyes a break while listening to the BBC news, lights out finally at ten.

The photograph was taken at the 2010 Mochi Ceremony at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum with a Nikon D3s mounted with an 70 - 200mm f 2.8 Nikkor VR II lens.